What better way to get into the Christmas spirit than jetting off to a proper Winter wonderland, getting down a few glasses of warming Swedish mulled wine (“glögg”) and doing a little bit of last minute Christmas shopping – or just chilling!
Stockholm has a long history of quality Christmas markets, with the oldest dating back to the 19th Century. Walking around the red stalls of the Old Town market is a must or take the ferry over to Djurgården island from Slussen and stroll over to Skansen, for its traditional Christmas experience. We’ve picked our favourite Christmas markets and everything you need to plan your stay with a few clicks.
The annual Christmas market in Stockholm’s Old Town (Gamla Stan) dates back to 1837 and is the oldest of its kind in Sweden. Inspired by the old medieval winter markets in Stockholm and offers everything from Swedish Christmas sausages, to ceramics and mulled wine (“glögg”).
Take the ferry over to Stockholm’s Djurgården island from Slussen and walk over to Skansen, Europe’s biggest outdoor museum, where the traditional weekend Christmas market is held as it would have been 100 years ago. It’s a great place to grab some traditional Swedish arts and crafts. Held every weekend in advent with an entry fee to the park.
Others worth a look
- Rosendal Palace, on the island of Djurgården is itself a worthwhile visit to admire the impressive architecture as well as take in the Christmas stalls in the gardens.
- The kungstradgården popular with the locals in a convenient downtown location, with traditional entertainment, stalls, food & drink as well an ice rink.
- Grona Lund and Liseberg Amusement Parks both also host annual markets as well as fun winter activities for those wanting a bit more entertainment.
There are usually a lot of great value return flights into Stockholm. Our recommendation is to fly to Arlanda or “Stockholm Airport” (or Bromma if you are able to get a direct flight), as the other Stockholm airports are a significant transfer. From there its easy to get into the town using Stockholm’s well organised public transport.
Stockholm has a nice range of accommodation well located in the city centre and to suit a range of budgets and preferences. Here are our top picks:
- The Lydmar. Luxurious boutique hotel set on the Waterfront. Perfect for a romantic treat.
- Story Hotel. Stylish and cool, with a convenient location in central Stockholm. Check-in using the Macs in the lobby and stay late in the bar.
- Hotel Rival. Converted 1930s cinema with luxurious rooms and cool restaurant to the south of the city centre.
- STF Goteborg City. hostel/ hotel hybrid located within walking distance of Liseberg Amusement Park and its Christmas market.
- Sheraton Stockholm. A sure bet if you’re after a hotel with all the services and an extremely convenient location for Stockholm Old Town and beautiful lake views.
Go to Planet to download our app to create your Stockholm trip and plan it all with a few simple taps of your finger.